Sunday, November 02, 2008

Awaiting the Next Empyrean Chapter

So, we heard today that Empyrean International ceased operations this week. Apparently, the current economic tide has taken its toll. Hopefully, one of the other firms (Lindal or someone of that ilk) will pick up the designs and approach, or someone with smarts around brand focus, marketing and operations will come along with enough funding to ressurrect it.

The area here is filled with original deck houses, many of which are likely to need significant updates in the coming years. It would be nice if there was a locally-headquartered company in the area that the current and future deck house owners could turn to when they're ready to update or replace their homes - rather than the generic McMansions that the towns have been sprouting.

A number of people worked a long time for Deck House and have seen some interesting changes there the past few years (the pursuit of the Dwell Homes and renaming to Empyrean), I'm sure many cared a great deal about the core of the company.

Here's a toast to everyone who helped make our place happen - you know who you are. Best wishes.

6 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger becky said...

We paid in full for some sliding glass replacement doors from Empyrean and were supposed to get them in November. What happens now? Are we just out our 15K? Any recourse here?

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Ted said...

i'm a journalist working on a story on the fate of Empyrean. How can I reach you? Anyone else with a Deck House is welcome to get in touch.

Thanks,

Ted Siefer - tedsiefer@mac.com

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just called Empyrean and got the auto message about receivorship. I need to purchase some sliding glass doors as replacements for a Deck House (damaged by a burgler breaking in) There are ALOT of Deck Houses in my neighborhood here near Duke University in NC. What can we do now?
Sheila Collins
1516 Woodburn Road
Durham, NC 27705
shecollins@gmail.com

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger becky said...

Sheila -
Empyrean will hopefully be sold. All Deck House owners are in real trouble until then since we all use their products and their products are all under patent. I was very lucky to have purchased my doors with a credit card - Visa refunded me in full. But had I paid with a check, I would have been out my 15K for the doors. Be very careful out there with any pre-payments on home improvements - there are so many companies going out of business. Becky

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Post And Baum said...

If you live near Concord-Carlisle, MA, Stevie Buchanan Builders can help you. I am working with Steve
in the Design and Panelization Process. We can get most of the material for you, except for the famed Mhg. Sliders. There is no reason to panic. Some form of Deckhouse will come to life in the near future! The bids are out and the receiver and bank will soon find a good fit for this Company. I worked in Design/Design Services for 21 years! If you would like a jump on your future design-be it an addition or conservatory redo. call me @ 978-263-8801 or cell @978-844-0185.

I can at the very least get your design ideas started. I draw in Auto-Cad 2000 (2-D) and Google Sketchup (3-D). My drawings are exact, so that I can figure out the window and glass sizes.I can draw Stevie framing plans if he needs the whole wall thrown up in one piece on site. This is the cool part. It's like the best of stick framing meeting pre-engineered ingenuity. You can save tons of money by seeing me rather than some expensive architect who doesn't have a clue about dancing around the critical details provided in a pre-engineered system such as Deckhouse or Nexthouse.
On another note, there are at least 40 dedicated workers who are eager to work again for this beloved Company;hopefully,run by an owner who cares about what we really do, as opposed one drives the company into disaster by searching for things that can make oneself famous.
"The Post and Baumer"

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Post And Baum said...

Sorry about that!
Here is my blog at:

http://newlookforolderdhs.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home